Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Verve

The Verve was an English rock band formed in 1990 in Wigan by lead vocalist Richard Ashcroft, guitarist Nick McCabe, bassist Simon Jones, and drummer Peter Salisbury. Simon Tong later became a member. Beginning with a psychedelic sound indebted to shoegazing and space rock, by the mid-1990s the band had released several EPs and three albums. They also endured name and line-up changes, breakups, health problems, drug abuse and various lawsuits.

Filter referred to them as "one of the tightest knit, yet ultimately volatile bands in history".Their commercial breakthrough was the 1997 album Urban Hymns and their single "Bitter Sweet Symphony", which was orchestrated by music producer Will Malone, which became a worldwide hit. Soon after this commercial peak, the band broke up in April 1999, citing internal conflicts. The band's original line-up reunited in June 2007, embarking on a tour later that year and releasing the album Forth in August 2008. In 2009, the band broke up for the third time.
I'll recomend Urban Hymns, with great songs like Catching the Butterfly, Lucky Man and the classic Bittersweet Simphony.

25 comments:

  1. nice to see a tight knit band like this band. thanx for the recommendations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bittersweet symphony is one of their best songs.
    I've listened to it plenty of times already and it never gets me bored. The music video is also inspiring. Walking on the sidewalks, not caring about anyone else,,nothing can stop him on his path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Bitter Sweet Symphony" I like this song, I've listened it so much time

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog makes me want my band back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous band.

    Bittersweet is the anthem for my fotball team, Sunderland. Great Vidya for it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely post, as usual. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice band...
    "Bittersweet Symphony" is a unforgetable song.. and video clip of course...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about the Verve - I've been listening to them since before Bittersweet Symphony was popular. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. classics man.. you made me wanna go listen to them now, and listen to them I shall =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. the verve is legit... been listening to them for awhile.. good read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of the many amazing English rock bands.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have never heard of the verve before this blog.
    Thanks for opening my eyes to them though, I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I know any song by them other than Bittersweet Symphony

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this blog. I'll check back tomorrow for a new update :)

    ReplyDelete